In Christian Surfers, ministry skills are developed in a variety of ways. As a volunteer based organisation, much is learnt through 'osmosis' - the gradual transfer of values and skills through interaction with experienced leaders.
A core strategy of CS is to supplement this informal learning with formal training. Christian Surfers has long recognised the need for its leaders to be equipped with standard skills of mission workers, in a way which can be applied effectively with surfers. Training and development programs have included formal training based on structured courses and materials, a 3 month full-time international leadership training school, and various levels of conference. We have now developed Christian Surfers Foundations Training material that can be utilised by any volunteer or by a specialist CS trainer.
- CS foundations - vision, mission, core values, core strategies, structures
- The nature of leadership - development, character, habits of a Godly leader
- Building partnerships - the church and other agencies, shared vision, accountability, authority, expectations
- Developing a team - community, conflict, Kingdom culture
- Gospel content - core elements, developing content, Biblical basis
- Gospel process - contextualisation, communication, relationships, stages of response
- CS best practices - structure, systems, legal, finances
- The surfing culture - values, trends, contextualisation, strategic planning
The CS Foundations Training program has been rolled out globally at regional and national levels. The material is now available as a workbook with leadership notes and Powerpoint aids on a full training website with online video. Contact your national leader for more information.
Additional leadership training opportunities are also available outside of CS as well as within CS on a national level. For more information visit our Training Opportunities page.