At its core Christian Surfers is about surfers reaching surfers, using their surfing.
This also includes all associated people in the surfing community. We are an outreach mission more than a fellowship group for Christians who surf. The following includes some of the things CS does on both a local and international level.
We are constantly building a world network of individuals and groups who represent all aspects of surfing and churches and are kept in contact via our newsletters and events. This network consists of individuals, partners and contacts as well as our affiliates.
A contact is a Christian surfer who is in relationship with the CSI network and has a heart for reaching their surfing community but currently lacks the resources to become an affiliated mission. Such contacts are vital in emerging surfing cultures and supported by CSI. Contacts do not have the right to run activity in the name of CS or produce a national logo, but can be supported by other CS missions and utilise the general logo.
Where a mission is established with an evangelistic purpose, a leadership team, and supportive church they can become the CSI affiliated mission of that nation. Affiliated missions are part of the representative Council of CSI and help determine the future leadership and direction of CSI. Typical missions are made up of regular meetings, evangelistic surfer friendly Bible input, contests, camps, coaching, day trips, outreach to secular events, etc.
Volunteers and Staff
CSI is a volunteer based organisation. We have minimal staff, and those on staff are faith financed positions within the organisation supported by the local church.
Broad Geographic Strategy
A key strategy in CSI is the establishment of 6 geographic regions: Australasia, Pacific, South America, North America (includes Central America and the Caribbean), Europe, and Africa. We encourage established missions to partner with emerging missions with oversight from CSI leadership.
Specific Active Strategies
Strategy for National Movements
Vision: To develop national movements of local community based chapters and key individuals of CS that will effectively evangelise and disciple surfers of the nations.
- Establish a pioneering local mission identity in every ISA member nation plus others
- Develop systems for multiplying such missions as chapters of mission
- Develop systems of national membership to enable individuals to connect with the national movement
- Best practices and resources will be networked and readily available to all affiliates
Strategy for Chaplaincy
Vision: To facilitate chaplaincy within organised surfing.
- Develop Men’s Tour and Women’s Tour chaplaincy to the ASP
- Develop a Regional Chaplain to each ASP office
- Explore chaplaincy opportunities at amateur levels within the ISA
- Develop an international strategy team to help develop this
Strategy for Hospitality/Servanthood
Vision: For CS to position itself in a servanthood role within the various surfing organisations and be recognised as being hospitable.
- Every national mission having a presence at their key crossroad events
- Mobilise CS to key international surfing events, eg: ISA World Games
- Develop a global network of hospitality gifted people who can facilitate and minister to travelling surfers
- Surfpacker style business missions established at key international locations
Strategy for Short-Term Missions Projects
Vision: To create a wider entry point to international missions and spearhead new nations.
- Mobilising investigative short-term missions (STM) to every member nation of the ISA and other key surfing nations
- Encourage established CSI nation sponsoring a 3 year commitment to send STM to an emerging nation
- Developing a global team of skilled STM leaders with international coordination
- Develop Compassion based STM that enhance our mission and engage the wider community
Strategy for Training Leaders
Vision: To provide ongoing leadership training for all levels of leadership accessible at both local, regional and international locations.
- CS Foundations Training made available
- Establish a global register of suitable CS Trainers
- Online and email based training made available
- Regional Training offered to emerging leaders and missions in the region
- Develop short-term training schools held in every region
- Internships and leadership developed
Strategy for International Support
Vision: To coordinate international leadership, direction, communications and resources.
- A staffed international office supporting the CSI Director
- Biennial International Conference
- Clear communications systems both within CS as well as outside of CS
- Faithfully represent and advocate for CS amongst other surfing groups and ministries
- Implement a fundraising plan to finance the operating costs of the CSI office, RC’s and key international objectives
- Facilitate the Surfers Bible and other suitable resources in every major surfing language